Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Who, What, When, Where...

Today I sat in on an interesting conversation between a group of public relations professionals and a blogger from a leading business publication. As typical, the journalist began to complain about all the misguided pitches he receives from PR folks.
Someone asked, "what's your favorite" pitch to receive. The answer was a stark reminder of the basics of good reporting and consequently, good PR. He said, ..."I want a straightforward pitch. Just give me the who, what, when and where..."...and add-in the why and how if it's relevant.
Anyone who attended journalism school has heard of the "Five W's and a H" --the standard formula for collecting the relevant story facts for a lead paragraph. What this reporter was basically saying is, pitch me a lead with the salient facts.
If I'm interested, I'll let you know.
A good reminder that sometimes less really is more.

No comments: